MLSA’s 2022 Megan E. Cook Memorial Scholarship in Environmental Studies
2022 Award: One or more $1,500 scholarship(s) will be awarded to a current student enrolled in a freshwater studies program at a Michigan educational institution (with preference to lake and watershed studies). Scholarship recipient(s) will also attend MLSA’s 61st Annual Conference held in person on Friday, May 6 and Saturday, May 7, 2022 at Crystal Mountain Resort in Thompsonville, MI to learn about freshwater issues and research as our guest(s).
Application Deadline: By 5 pm, March 25, 2022
Applicant Eligibility: Qualified applicants must be active and continuing undergraduate students with a Michigan college or university that are pursuing a career in freshwater studies. Applicants must have an interest in lake and/or watershed research and be motivated to pursue projects that may lead to understanding or improving lake or stream health. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and must demonstrate some degree of financial need.
Applicant Instructions: Completed applications should be submitted by google form or if necessary by mail at the following address:
Michigan Lakes and Streams Association PO Box 19615 Kalamazoo, MI 49019
Award Procedure and Administration of Funds: The scholarship recipient will be determined by a selection committee designated by the MLSA Board of Directors. In early April, the winner of the scholarship will be notified via a formal letter from MLSA. The recipient of the scholarship may use the award funds for educational-related expenses such as tuition, textbooks, computer software, research, or other pertinent expenses. The scholarship(s) will be awarded in person at MLSA’s 61st Annual Conference on Friday, May 6, 2022. Additionally, please be aware of your college policies that may require notification of this award to the office of financial aid if an award is received. Please consult with your college financial aid officer prior to application of the scholarship. You will be required to send a summary report of what you have used the award for and how it could benefit Michigan’s lakes and streams.
About Megan E. Cook
A bright 17-year old high school senior who was loved by all she met. She brought a vibrancy of life to everyone she was around. From kindergarten through 12th grade her favorite subjects were science and health. As the youngest in a homeschooled family, she absorbed knowledge from listening to the older children’s lessons. Long before her “formal” school years she began learning about the world around her. Throughout the years she would give her family detailed descriptions of what she learned that day in her science and health classes. She also enjoyed reading all she could about mysteries and forensics. Her plan was to study science in preparation for a career in forensics on a police force or in the medical field. She believed that by learning how the world functions through science, we could become better citizens and have a healthier life. People can be better stewards of the world in which they live by understanding the environment.
Application Requirements for Megan E. Cook Memorial Scholarship
- Please fill out this GOOGLE FORM
- Please include the following information on a separate sheet and mail to the MLSA office:
- Full Name (including middle initial or name)
- Permanent Address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- College mailing address
- Overall college GPA
- Expected semester and year of graduation
- Degree being pursued
- In addition, please provide the following:
- A most recent copy of your current transcript or if you have recently transferred to a new college, then please include your previous and recent transcripts
- Chronologically list your experience in environmental studies, research, or work, and possible contributions to societies or organizations
- Please answer the following questions (limit your answers to 400 words per question or approximately 2-3 paragraphs).
- What do you find most concerning regarding Michigan inland waters and their protection?
- How would this scholarship enable you to enhance your education and involvement in further studies?
- How does your proposed educational path relate to the values expressed by Megan E. Cook and her life?